We operate a water taxi service for hunters throughout the year. We recommend prior bookings especially during peak months (November to April).
Other Services for Hunters
We also assist with:
- Hire of dinghy, outboard motor, lifejackets
- Hire of cooking and eating equipment
- Hire of gas bottle
- Hire of VHF radio and assistance in setting up radio schedules with Stewart Island Marine Radio
- Assistance with ordering firewood / kindling / coal
- Asssitance ordering grocery stores
- Licensed road transfers to and from water taxi departure point
- Travel to and from Stewart Island
- Accommodation in Stewart Island / Invercargill / Bluff before / after hunting trips.
Virginian Whitetail Deer and Red Deer
Virginian whitetail deer were first released in Stewart Island and now occur throughout the island. Red deer from Europe were also liberated here and are mostly in the central and northwest part of Stewart Island.
Stewart Island is considered to be the best place to hunt Virginian whitetail deer and hunters come from throughout New Zealand with some travelling from Australia, US and Scandinavian countries.
Information on booking hunting blocks, hunting permits and hunters huts can be found on the Department of Conservation website: www.doc.govt.nz.